Monday, March 3, 2014

Winter Winds

"Spring passes and one remembers one's innocence.
Summer passes and one remembers one's exuberance.
Autumn passes and one remembers one's reverence.
Winter passes and one remembers one's perseverance."
–Yoko Ono

The snow lays on my spirit with a dull suffocating weight as winter has its icy grip still locked firmly on Central New York. My patience for the harsher of seasons has all but run out. I have come to the realization by this time of the year I begin to sound like a member of Syracuse's bitter curmudgeon population when it comes to snow. I'm normally a fairly positive person but by March my house starts to feel like the Overlook hotel from The Shining minus the ghosts. A heathy dose of sweaters, Netflix and carmel hot chocolate is the only thing keeping me from swinging an axe around these days.
Homicidal humor  aside the cold temperatures and lack of sunlight does take its toll on me mentally, making each day just a little harder. If you are someone who enjoys winter activities and snow more power to you but I am just not that person, the only wintertime activities I have participated in is broodingly listening to music while staring out the window and beard growing (slowly but surely).
I would like to reassure my readers that I am not becoming a scruffy deranged hermit who writes all day in his log cabin, as awesome as that sounds I am doing my best to stay positive and occupied. My work with Make-A-Wish, my writing and my friends certainly help my uncertain moods. This year my family went as far as throwing a "We are sick of winter" party, It was an absolute blast, shout out to everyone who partied with us. Never underestimate the power of good friends to lift your spirits.
As another week of bitter cold unfolds I must continue to remind myself it is only temporary and spring is indeed on its way. My biggest pursuit however is not to wish away time, it is to try to make the best no matter what season it may be.

P.S. Girl of The Week: Emma Roberts
P.P.S. Song of The Week: Byegone by Volcano Choir


No comments:

Post a Comment