Monday, February 18, 2013

Blood, Sweat, Tears And Life


This past week and a half we have been getting new floors and a new kitchen counter tops, and like life is always, it was an interesting experience.
"It's not a good job unless someone bled on it"
-Ed Mort, my Father.
To complete this undertaking we enlisted the help of some friends and family, a huge shout-out to Charlie Piraino, Brian Hitchcock, Lisa and Neil Fitzpatrick, Danny Mort and my grandfather, who were all so very helpful! I have realized that this project is very much a metaphor for change and for life itself. One of these is people; the individuals that you surround yourself with deeply influence the project, which  life really is, one can try and do it all alone but it is soon realized that we all need the help and support of others to truly succeed. People do some interesting things while working, they show a range of emotions; anger, frustration, joy and camaraderie, people's inner feeling and personalities often manifest into the work they do, you cam tell a lot about someone while watching them work. To put in a new floor and to move forward you must rip up the old, free yourself from the past because as great as the 90's seemed, it's not in style or relevant any longer. Once the surface of the floor or the past is removed there are staples and nails remaining, little things that anchored you to what once was. To keep going you have to remove and make peace with each and every one of them, it takes a long time to do this and it is frustrating, it sometimes hurts and you even bleed occasionally but when it's finished you are better for it.
"It's me Mario!"
 
Throughout the process of my house being torn apart I became enraged at a few points by the disruptions in my routine and the shear culmination of obnoxious sounds i.e. the pounding of hammers. The multiple mini freak-outs I succumbed to, shed some light on the fact that I have difficultly dealing with change sometimes and that I need to work on my sense of peace not being quite so delicate, I also so need to be more pleasant and understanding of my family. 
The next step is actually putting the new floors and the new things in your life, this is harder than it may sound, it doesn't always fit together nicely, you have to cut the pieces so they fit, pound them into place and bleed some more, allowing new in your life is a labor of love, but a labor all the same. While the project my not be entirely complete, nor is life's journey, the vast improvements are clearly taking shape just like those found in my own personality. We are all working alongside each other in this world, constantly remodeling our souls, building, destroying, changing, growing and living. We all need change and help from time to time, but only if we can except it and we all must.

Ps. Kate Upton!

1 comment:

  1. well said, mike. life is interesting and i'm glad you share your thoughts because it gets me to look at things from a whole different angle. don't worry, the bleeding will stop soon and we'll have that kitchen 100% in no time. Mrs Fitz

    ReplyDelete