Monday, January 13, 2014

Oh SNAP!

This week I would like to talk about a certain issue that really gets under my skin: villinizing individuals  who receive some sort of welfare assistance. Before some of my readers just dismiss this post as a "Liberal rant" please hear my personal reasons why I feel the way I do.
Mostly I am speaking of a series of social media spread internet graphics or memes, if you will, that are critical of people using Food-stamps who own iPhones. I am sure most of you, one time or another have seen something like this on Facebook:
What personally upsets me is that I have an iPhone and use Food stamps or it's actual name: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). I am disabled and cannot work for a living, making me eligible for Social Security Disability (SSD) and as I said SNAP. At first I was hesitant to apply for these benefits once I turned 18, I felt as if this was a handout and I did not want to seem poor. After many long conversations with my parents I came to the realization that it was no fault of my own I was disabled and why should my family have to incur extra cost. I also choose to give some of the money I receive to my parents basically as rent on paper. I see the situation as my mom does not have a job so she can take care of my brother and I, thus is deserving of some of these benefits. When someone posts a negative remark it makes me feel self conscience. Most of the time when I decide to call people out—on Facebook mostly—for sharing this insensitive garbage, they tend to reply with something along the lines of: it's okay because you're genuinely disabled. Unfortunately, what this actually is suggesting is that somehow one must appear poor or disabled enough to avoid judgment. Some people actually get angry when they see another individual, that they do not know, with nice clothes or a nice vehicle or even tattoos using food stamps. How can you possibly tell what someone's life is like from looking at them. There are so many problems that are impossible to see, things like cancer, mental illness or chronic pain. It's also a proven fact that most of the families receiving food stamps have children. Another factor to consider is the lengths people go to seem okay, would you want others to know you are struggling? In a country still plagued by stigma most do not want to seem poor. Someone does not have to look Oliver Twist to be in serious need.

I do understand that fraud is a reality, with any system there with be flaws but it is not the sweeping epidemic that some would have you believe. How some people view food stamps seems to reflect the misconceptions of the welfare system in the United States in general. I strongly disagree with the idea that growing welfare dependency is bankrupting our nation morally and economically. 
Claims like these are simply not true, they are unfounded rhetoric based on false cause and effect. 
The need for government assistance tends to ebb and flow with the economy. My intent is not to force my beliefs down others throats but to point out that generalizations without facts can be dangerous and hurtful. Really think about what you are saying when you start make broad statements. Before making a comment or sharing something on social media be mindful of who it might upset. When discussing welfare do not forget that you are talking about human beings that are in your community, that you may even know. 

P.S. Girl of The Week:
Demi Lovato

P.P.S Song of The Week:
Ways To Go by Grouplove

3 comments:

  1. First off, love the song of the week :) So good I love grouplove.

    Second, thanks for this post. It's a tough topic because it does spark a lot of debate. I have seen firsthand people abuse the system which makes me a bit jaded on the social service. When I worked at wegmans I saw people who would buy their food with a benefits card then promptly walk to buy cigarettes from customer service (back in the day when Wegs still sold cigs). And while I have no place to judge how people spend their money, I couldn't help but feel money is being allocated incorrectly.

    That being said I also understand the need for the service and am so thankful I live in a country that takes care of it's own, whether it be through SNAPS WIC or disability or unemployment compensation. It's just an absolute shame that there are people that take advantage of this system, and it's often easy to generalize and make sweeping assumptions about people who use government assistance.

    So it's funny when you say you have this service and people say you're the exception to the rule . When the reality is your the norm. Glad you're promoting awareness hopefully someone else like me reads this article and see's the other side of the argument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, love this post.
    Dunno if you know but I do SNAP outreach to senior citizens.
    As a VISTA member, I am on SNAP myself. When I went to the Department of Transitional Assistance, there were a mix of people at the DTA. People who were wearing rags to people wearing designer clothing. I think that stems from a pride thing. It's hard enough asking for help, and some people feel if they wear their nicest clothes, they won't be looked at differently. I felt I was being judged, by my peers and by the people conducting the interview. When I use my EBT card, sometimes I can feel the cashiers looking me up and down. in the end, as long as I get my food I'm happy.

    Thanks for your view,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think peoples distaste with iPhones and SNAP is that if you are "poor", you must look and act accordingly. I received SNAP benefits after I lost my job due to layoffs and know first hand the stigma that is attached to using these benefits, and driving a nice car. People lack a certain compassion and are full of assumptions.

    Jason Hayes @ DECORM

    ReplyDelete