Monday, April 29, 2013

Guest Writer Kelly Peters

Hello, fellow “Mike, The Man the Myth, the Legend” fans. I’m Kelly, this week’s gracious guest blogger. I started reading Mike’s blog about a month ago and have become transfixed by his ability to inspire. So when Mike asked to know the topic of my post (like any good editor), I naturally looked to him for inspiration.

I learned about Mike’s story during a TV production class last semester. Gina Lazara, another classmate, profiled Mike for her final piece. Mike’s story struck me. I even nominated him for a Jerk award - an annual honor the campus magazine I work for gives to ten outstanding community leaders each year. Mike was recognized as this year’s “Social Medium” for his volunteer work with Make-A-Wish. I met with Mike at his home in Liverpool for an interview. Even better, he kept in touch afterward through email, texting, and Facebook.

To student journalists like myself, this connection is huge. But connections like Mike’s often feel like the exception to the rule. In fact, my new friendship with Mike has renewed my faith in the value of human interaction.

As a senior trying to land a job in the “communications” industry, I often feel lost in a self-serving sea of substance-less connections. For me, professional networking feels more like collecting Pokémon cards: “An assistant from CNN responded to me?! Yes! Now all I need is to get them to talk to an Executive Producer. And then maybe they’ll lead me to someone in HR!” In the midst of racking up contacts, I forget to remind myself that that person in human resources isn’t the holographic Charizard that I see in my mind – she or he is a person. Having them as a card in my Poké-deck is useless without any real understanding of their Poké-powers – let alone their character.
Poké-examples aside (and apologies to the those who didn’t grow up in the 90’s), communicating just to communicate leaves you impersonally alone. And even worse, not reaching out at all leaves us regretfully lonesome.

With such potential for connection through tools like the Internet, I feel sometimes like I’m wandering blindly through an invisible web of opportunity. But in all honestly, the power of this potential terrifies me. Should I respond to that text? Is it even worth sending that email? Did I just miss out on that friendship or relationship without even knowing it?

But giving in to these doubts is the only true failure in connection. So reach out. Be personable and learn something about someone else. Find the humanity in another even if it means having to work to find that same place within yourself. And don’t discount any interaction. True connections are faceless and shapeless – something as simple as an emailed interview request may land you a spot as a guest blogger.
Thank you so much to Mike for inviting me to contribute. And thank you to all readers for welcoming me. Feel free to connect!

No comments:

Post a Comment