Monday, November 11, 2013

No Regrets

Life never goes exactly as we plan leaving us with things that we wish we had done or not done, words that we never should have said or never did; each one of us has regret. I personally am someone who can beat myself up over and over in my head, thinking about what I could have done differently, sometimes for years. 

Recently I was discussing with one of my friends about an argument that we had in the fifth grade. It was a rather comical conversation but I realized deep down I still felt bad all these years later and even though we are close now I still carried that guilt. It got me thinking just about how ridiculous it was for this childhood experience to still embarrassed me. Remembering the past does have its purposes but don't forget that the past does not actually exist anymore. It is completely pointless to think about how you could have done things in a different way. Many of our biggest "mistakes" that we continue to feel guilty about were completely out of our control. We also tend to see the past through the lens of what we know now, forgetting that we were different people then. Like the lyric from the song Ooh La La by Faces:
"I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was younger
I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was stronger..."

Whether it's a week or ten years ago, we are all constantly growing, adapting and evolving; time changes all. Regret is a heavy burden to carry, it can make the present difficult to enjoy. Learning to let go of the past may not be easy an task but it can make one much happier. If you are spending more time thinking about the past than making new experiences, we may be missing out on what is right in front of us. When the regret closes in on the us just breathe; focus on each breath taking in the current moment with all your senses. Concentrate on the now, think about only the positive things in your life at this moment. Release the bitterness with each exhale—only now is real. Regret can flutter around inside your head like a flock of pigeons trapped in a house, shitting on everything nice. We must open the doors and release the regret from where we dwell.  
The most powerful regrets we all face are of the things we did not do. Adopt a way of living that leaves no room for regret. Say what you need say, take that chance and don't wait.

P.S. Girl of the Week:
Blake Lively


No comments:

Post a Comment