Sunday, February 2, 2014

10 Things I Learned From Star Wars

Anyone who knows me well, understands my love of a little franchise know as Star Wars. Although, not a perfect series (i.e. the prequels) it is something that makes me happy. These are movies that shaped my childhood and helped ignite my science fiction fascination, I can honestly say that the saga has altered my life. I like to think that growing up with Star Wars has had a positive influence on who I am as a person. 


Below are ten things that one can learn from Star Wars, I will just be focusing on the original 70's/80's trilogy. I apologize to anyone who has not seen Star Wars and have no idea what any of this means. But honestly if you have never seen a Star Wars film I feel a little bad for you, you may want rethink your life decisions. 

Here we go...


10. Big things have small beginnings.

When Luke Skywalker's journey began he was just a poor moisture farmer living on the desert planet Tatooine with dreams of excitement for the future. Never stop dreaming; for you never truly know where your life is going, you might just change the galaxy.


9. There is always hope.

There were plenty of times in the battle against the Empire that all seemed lost, but no matter how dark it got there was always hope. Holding on to hope can be painful and difficult but there is power in it. 


8. Storm Troopers can't shoot for sh*t.
Despite being the most powerful military force in the galaxy, these foot-soldiers of the Empire had the worst aim. I mean come on guys!! 
You have blasters that fire lasers? 


7. "Size matters not." 
Some of the best advice in Star Wars came from none other than the little green nine hundred-year-old Jedi master, Yoda. When Luke became discouraged attempting to lift his ship from the swap with the force, saying it was too large, Yoda wisely quipped “Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you?”. I believe a person is so much more than their size or physical strength and the size of a task doesn't but instead one's will.


6. "Do or do not; there is no try."
One of my favorite Yoda quotes of all time, with each endeavor in your life go in with the intent that you will succeed.


5. Keep your friends close.
Saving the galaxy from the evil Empire was no easy feat however a small group of highly committed individuals can do amazing things.


4. Hate leads to the Dark-side.
Darth Vader's tragic fall to the Dark Side shows us that while anger and hatred may make you feel powerful for a time they ultimately cloud our judgement. Being consumed by hate can lead you you hurt the ones you love the most.


3. Lightsabers are awesome.

Need I say more.

2. It is never too late change.

As evil as Vader was there was still good in his heart. When Luke was about to be killed by the evil emperor, Vader decided to save his son and destroy the Sith Lord at great harm to himself. There is always time to change, to become a better person.


1. The Force binds us together.
We are all connected, our journeys weave together into a beautiful mosaic of life. Feel the life coursing through you, each and every one of us change the world around us by just existing.
May the force be with you...

No comments:

Post a Comment