Tuesday, February 24, 2015

An Oscar Wrap-Up With Emily and Mike

"One of the wonderful things about movies is that it makes us feel seen and not alone." 
–Julianne Moore at the 87th Academy Awards.

Mike: Film, arguably one of the finest artistic mediums, has the ability to move us, inspire us and change the way we see the world around us. As we celebrate The 87th Annual Academy Awards, we are reminded just how truly magical movies can be. I am proud co–write this post with my friend and fellow movie lover, Emily Wagner. We would like to share our thoughts on this star-studded event and the films it pays tribute to.

Emily: I’m thrilled to be joining Mike in this post-Oscar discussion! I always enjoy watching the Academy Awards and other like-minded award shows, but to be completely honest, I normally do not see too many “Oscar” films before the event. I’ll often let the results influence my next Netflix or Redbox selection. Plus I think it’s an excellent occasion to celebrate the hard work and talents of those in the entertainment business. And, as we saw that evening, it can be a platform for issues bigger than the movies and bigger than the directors and stars that create them. 

It’s such an interesting cultural phenomenon, and a really unique opportunity to see this variety of people come together. A little more on my perspective, incase anyone is interested, I like to think of myself as a little different when it comes to the categories I care about most: Best Animated Feature and Short Films, Best Original Song and Best Score. As an animated film buff, I typically see nearly all or all films in those categories. And I love to listen to soundtracks and scores of nominated films even if I haven’t seen any other part of the film. 

Mike: For me personally movies have always been a major part of my life, since I was a child movies have captured my imagination. They have acted as both an escape and a way to process reality. I believe that the Oscars, in many ways, showcase and honor this dichotomy that filmmaking embodies. There are very few awards shows that I enjoy watching, however, The Academy Awards are one I do enjoy, being a huge movie enthusiast after all. 

I may not always have the chance to watch each nominated film, though I have tried and nearly succeeded a few times, I have been introduced to a phenomenal selection of movies because of the Oscars, though. This year I am looking forward to watching the nominated movies I have yet to see. I will admit that these awards are not always perfect, from the lack of diversity to the sometimes formulaic nominations, but it is an entertaining event, nonetheless.

Emily: I completely relate to Mike’s statement on imagination and film, and think that the animation category really speaks strongly to that. As a huge animation nerd and an overly enthusiastic Disney-fan, I was thrilled with the outcome of the winners in both animation categories, Feast and Big Hero 6, as Best Animated Short Film and Feature Film, respectively. As far back as I can tell, this is the first time Disney has taken home both of these Oscars in the same year and with the same film release. I think it’s an incredibly statement to the quality of creativity and innovation that happens within the Disney Animation Studios everyday, as well as the diverse ideas that are put together to entertain movie-goers. 

Now, that’s not to take away from the other worthy nominees in the animation categories; I would’ve have also been excited to see How to Train Your Dragon 2 win with its gorgeous landscapes and adventurous stories, plus it would have been one of the few sequels to take home an Oscar. While the artwork of the creators is at the forefront of these films, I think the storytelling is truly at the heart of all contenders, as well as the unrecognized Lego Movie. 

Mike: I also share a deep appreciation for animated movies, the amazing movies that come out of animation studios such as Disney and DreamWorks, are always a must-see for me. My love of animation, hand drawn and computer rendered alike, has only grown stronger as I have gotten older. I was very pleased as well, with Big Hero 6 receiving the Best Animated Feature Film win, I am absolutely blown away by this film's stunning visuals, intriguing characters, brilliant humor and rich storyline. Another aspect of Big Hero 6 that really stands out to me is it's outlook on technology, I feel that the movie wonderfully portrays the true spirit of invention and innovation. 

Speaking to Emily's points, I agree that How to Train Your Dragon 2 was also a strong contender and all around great movie. The fact that the movie featured several disabled characters, including it's protagonist, certainly added to it's charm, in my opinion. I strongly believe in the representation of all types of people, especially in movies typically catered to families and children. As for the Lego Movie, I was also somewhat disappointed with the nomination snub of such a fun and creative movie.

Emily: I do think that The Lego Movie stole some of the spotlight back with the incredible performance of “Everything is Awesome,” and I loved the animated opening, but the most surprising and I believe talked-about performance of the night came later from the one and only Lady Gaga. Who better to sing a medley of The Sound of Music, right? While watching the performance, I really didn’t know what to think. She sounded fantastic, and I loved that the orchestra was onstage with her, but it still was a shock to see her in a sparkling gown and free of backup dancers. 
Gaga has shown us over these past few years that she has an amazing range (both vocally and as an artist), and I think this will be a key performance in this new direction of her career. Because Julie Andrews floated onto the stage and said she enjoyed the performance, I know I started to cry, and I know I’m not the only one! She is such an elegant, polished and lovely person, and to hear her speak so humbly about her experience in this momentous film was awesome. It also makes me really nostalgic to think that after 50 years of film and so much has changed, this story and its music are still important and still entertain audiences. 

Mike: As Emily mentioned earlier, the Oscars present a unique opportunity for those in the film industry to call attention to a diverse array of social issues. To me, some of the most stirring moments from a social justice perspective were: Patricia Arquette's poignant acceptance speech; the emotional musical performance from artists, Common and John Legend; Common's powerful statement after his collaborative win. I have a lot of respect for celebrities who use their position success to promote what they believe in.

This year I was fairly satisfied with much of the selection of winners, which were clearly difficult decisions with the sheer amount of fantastic films. I was excited to see some of my personal favorite movies from the recent Academy Award season, such as Interstellar and The Grand Budapest Hotel, receive well deserved accolades in their respective categories. I have yet to see the Best Picture winner, Birdman but I am happy that an independent, uniquely shot film has reached such a high level of recognition. This was also an important year for historical and biographical cinema, with movies like Selma, The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything and the somewhat controversial American Sniper.

Overall, I was intrigued by the lineup of films and was entertained by this year's Academy Award show. Movies are such a pivotal part of our culture and my own personal experience. Movies at their core, exemplify the pure and undoubtedly human art of storytelling. So here is to film and all the amazing things it represents! 

I would like to thank Emily for coming up with the idea for this blog and helping me break down the 2015 Oscars. If you have enjoyed her perspective make sure to check out her blog, Flip Book at:

No comments:

Post a Comment