Monday, June 22, 2015

To Be Continued

Existence at its very core is not about time, but rather progress. As the ancient Chinese philosopher Confucius once wrote, "It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” Each of us have different kinds of personal growth and success, all in our own unique timeframe, all thoroughly important. The urge to better oneself is simply crucial, regardless of age or position in life. I believe everyone is capable of doing amazing things, both within themselves and for the good of our shared experience.

Growing up I was encouraged to follow my dreams, to be my own person no matter what. This support helped to fuel my inherent drive, pushing me forever forward. Giving up was never an option in my mind, my priorities may have shifted over the years but my resolve is unmoved. There were certainly points I stumbled but I never truly lost sight of what makes me who I am as a person. I am strong willed and filled with passion, it is something I take pride in, something that has keep me going. I think each of us need to be willing to fight for their dreams, no matter what they may be.

Living with a chronic progressive illness can sometimes bring a bit of a failing-TV-show mentality; a life of borrowed time, never knowing if the network will give you enough episodes. While I am not planning on my series, so to speak, being canceled anytime soon, I still tend to look at things in a much more temporary light. It can be difficult to strike the balance between ambition and reality, living in the now and reaching for the unknown then. Muscular Dystrophy has forced to me consider my own mortality at a time when most people feel somewhat immortal. Despite this unknown longevity, though, I still manage to have ambitions and goals for the future. I’ve found without having something to strive for, life can easily become dull and repetitive. Today may be a gift but tomorrow is truly an opportunity—life is all about moving forward. 

About a year after graduating high school I found myself at a particularly low point because of a general lack of purpose. I had made the decision, which I still stand behind, not to attend college without a goal to fill my time. It wasn’t until I discovered the outlet of this blog and the calling of volunteerism, that I began to feel sense of confidence within myself. I’m not suggesting that everyone needs a definitive direction in life but simply something to work towards, to reach for.

As I look to the future, however long it may be, I am reminded of the words of Walt Disney, “Keep moving forward.” My vision as I continue to move forward is to reach a wider audience with my writing, by exploring publishing and further blogging opportunities while persistently refining and improving my craft. Sharing my voice and the voices of others is my personal dedication, each person however, must find and pursue our own passions. There is always time to start new pursuits; each day is not an ending but an eternal to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment