Saturday, October 6, 2012

Death and All His Friends

“It’s the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.” 
-J.K. Rowling

Just forewarning this gets into some pretty deep shit, hold on folks! 

My disease will shorten my lifespan considerably this is the reality and it has forced me to deal with my own mortality and personally I'm not afraid to die anymore. 
On New Year's Eve last year I lost my Grandfather, as much as I really miss him, it was his time and he was ready and we really viewed the services held for him as a celebration of his life this was so very powerful to me.
R.I.P. Grandpa Mort
I'm not a very religious person and an eternal skeptic but recently I've discovered a big interest in the concept of reincarnation, something about it just really clicks with me, I truly believe that life is way to short for this to be it.
Not reincarnation in the sense like I'm going to come back as a goldfish nonsense but as another person, what interests about what I've read is the concept that each life has a purpose and a lesson to be learned or to teach. The other thing I find interesting is that it's said that souls tend to reincarnate in groups, that the people you know and love now will stay around as different relationships to you explaining the fact that there are people you just have that instant connection with. What comforts me about death is the overwhelming consistency of near-death experiences; the sense of separation from ones body, life reviews, the absence of pain, the bright light , etc., not like crushing blackness and enfolding nonexistence that I once feared.
I believe that everything happens for a reason.
I believe that we know so very little about the universe.
I believe that all religions have a common thread; the one, the source, the creator, god, a higher power, something greater than what can we see.
I believe that on a higher plane of existence I chose this life as a trial and to teach a lesson, this body is just a temporary state and my soul will live on ever stronger.

2 comments:

  1. Some part of me finds reincarnation to be a very true and very realistic idea, but the other part of me is very skeptical about anything at all like that. I want to believe, part of me anyway, that our time that we have now is all that we get, but the other part of me does believe in souls and soul-kinships, that how could the universe have so much reusable energy that each soul is expendable and only used once. It's hard, because part of me wants to believe and the other part of me doesn't. but how else could my incessant affiliation with horses and princesses be explained any other way than being a horse or a princess in my past life/lives.

    I also agree with you though, about relationships if reincarnation does exist. There's no way for the extent of our emotional investment in the people around us be limited to merely one life time. Some of the connections I feel with people are so deep that it seems impossible that I only have known them in one life/ for a few years. Maybe not proximity exactly, because those people I feel so intensely for I have met in other countries or via the internet, but that feeling you get when you just... understand someone, that "this must be kismet" feeling. I feel it with my grandfather, my aunt, my best friend in Toronto, the man with whom my heart lies in NC and my other friend in Ottawa, there's no other explanation for that kind of thing.


    AS for death, I am 100% unafraid of it. The only thing that scares me or is upsetting about death is the losing of the person who has died. I wont be able to speak to them again and that is a lonely, painful feeling, but death itself and death for myself I am unafraid of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the concept of reincarnation, but I've never thought of it as people reincarnating in groups (which I really love now).. I've always believed that you meet multiple soul mates during your life, and knowing that they can come back to you in the next is a beautiful thought!

    PS. LOVE Hermione Granger!!!

    - Shannon Campbell

    ReplyDelete