Monday, September 16, 2013

Winds Of Change

Autumn is just beginning to take its hold on Upstate New York yet again, you can feel it in the air. This is usually a somewhat melancholy time for me as the seasons change, but this year I have decided to give it a chance. On the pursuit of happiness accepting change is a must, if you can't roll with the punches you get knocked out in the first round of this heavyweight bout called life. I have weathered changes far worse than some pretty leaves and colder days. I am setting out to change my attitude about this time of year, a change of attitude however, is a delicate art with a life altering product. As the days grow shorter and the leaves fall I must fight the spiral into wasted sad hours—I must choose happiness. Fall always seemed for me like the world was dying and so was I; with each falling leaf the end seemed a little closer. Logically, I knew spring and summer would return but it just seemed so final. I need to fill my mind with pies, sweater swag, Halloween, Thanksgiving and the brilliant colors; drowning the sorrow in a tide of good things.
Often times when people proclaimed "Love fall!", I would just look at them in disgust and ask why? To me, the reasons people gave just seemed petty and ridiculous compared to the heartbreak of seasonal change. How could I enjoy a season that meant the end of summer, something I love. I'm slowly realizing that loving Autumn is truly looking at the bright side and there is such power in that.

I've also come to understand that most of the reason I disliked the fall is what comes next—the winter. In the words of Ned Stark: Winter is coming… and it always is. The prospect of that frozen hell can sour the most beautiful of fall days for me; I dread being trapped inside the house as snow and cold blanket everything. To combat these fears I must channel my best "live in the moment" mindset, telling myself it's not winter today. Why should I let what the future holds, destroy what is so wonderful now, that's how I live my life and the seasons are no different. What is the point of being down about the weather if there is so much good to live and be happy for. It's important for everyone to realize every day is a gift no matter what season it is. 

That being said, it has taken a long time for me to even begin to accept fall and there are some people that face legitimate depression during these times. They deserve respect and understanding; for many, it is impossible to simply "get over it". This is an important personal journey for me to be happy right now and I will give it my all.
To those who love it, Happy Fall! 
To those who do not, Good Luck!


P.S. Liv Tyler


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the attitude adjustment Mike, I will enjoy fall and choose to be happy...I will deal with winter when it gets here. How true it is that most of us have the choice regarding the attitude we will embrace for the day. Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react...attitude! Happy Fall Mike! God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete