Monday, September 9, 2013

2013 Wish Ball

One thing that I look forward to at this time of year is the Wish Ball, an event that reaffirms my commitment to the organization that I'm proud to call myself a volunteer for. Last year's event probably took the cake for the best Wish Ball, winning the award and all (you read all about it again here: Good To Great.) but this past Saturday was pretty fantastic, made extra special by a few new additions to our group. About a month ago I decided that I wanted to have a date for one of Make-A-Wish CNY's biggest events; being a wish kid I've always had the option of bringing a guest free of charge and this time I wanted to take up that offer. I, for some time I mulled over who would be a good fit to share in these festivities, I finally decided on my dear friend Carolyn Barry. Carolyn—a committed blog reader—was ecstatic when I invited her to go, made obvious by the sheer volume of exclamation points and OMGs in her text response. She is one of the truly wonderful people that I've had the pleasure of meeting while living on Halfmoon circle. At one point she made the bold promise to be the best date ever and she was right, not only was she a blast to be around but she looked amazing as well. Carolyn's excitement gave new life to this event.
Another welcome addition to our group was my youngest brother Danny's girlfriend Kerry, who he has been dating for the past six months. Kerry, gets along great with our entire family and most importantly my brother, it makes me so happy for him to be with someone that is as awesome as he is. It was also wonderful to have my aunt come with us again this year, when she came to support me last year for my award she was just beginning her battle with breast cancer, now cancer free returned to the ball this year.
At the ball I get to see the amazing staff, volunteers and children that make coming to work so very worth it. It's one thing share wish stories on social media but to meet these incredible kids in person is truly impressive. 
I was also so happy to see my friend, former intern, event volunteer and guest blogger, Emily Wagner. 
Each year some of my favorite people in the world go with me to this event and I am so lucky for that. It's an incredible thing watching someone be moved by the power of Make-A-Wish and it is best experienced while being shared will family and great friends.

P.S. Carolyn Barry!

No comments:

Post a Comment