Monday, April 8, 2013

It's The Name Of The Game

One thing that I've really enjoyed doing for several years now is playing Video Games, most people at one point or another in their lives have played and enjoyed games but for me it's something much more, it's an escape into another world. My love of gaming probably, in part stems from my physical limitations, where most kids could play sports and such, I could not so like my borderline obsession with toys, gaming allowed my imagination to roam free. Some of the games I first recall playing are classics like Tetris and Pac-Man, the first game system I received was the original Playstation, the graphics were somewhat limited compared to now but I had so much fun playing it. 
I remember playing this one Star Wars game that seemed like the hardest game ever, I played it with my dad and we, many times wanted to throw the controller out the window but each level completed gave us such a feeling of triumph and joy that I will never forget. Throughout the years, as the technology and graphics expanded so did my passion for games, becoming a major part of my life. Video Games have also become a social experience for me, giving me common ground and an interesting activity to do with my brothers and my friends. I have fond memories of a few summers, in which we set up a TV and PS2 in the garage, my neighborhood friends, my brothers and I had such a great time. There is no greater camaraderie than that of a bunch of kids playing EA's FIFA soccer in a dirty garage. Over the last ten years or so, my collection of games and consoles have grown to an extreme amount to the casual observer but it's something I throughly enjoy.
Games give me the ability to go fantastic places and do amazing things that I could never dream of in real life, I can be a completely different person, someone with incredible strength or skill. Games like Halo and Mass Effect allow players to save the galaxy from enormous alien threats, others like Skyrim let you play as the hero of a mystical land slaying dragons, there are so many stunning games out there. I also enjoy playing games such as Call of Duty, Gears of War, Grand Theft Auto and Fallout, the latest game I've been playing is Bioshock Infinite. Real life can be great but we all need an escape sometimes, video games can offer that escape but they also are a unique art form and a platform for telling stories. 
What are some of your favorite games? Tell me in the comments below.

P.S. Julianne Hough

2 comments: