Monday, November 25, 2013

The Green Monster

The film, The Great Gatsby, in which I had the pleasure of watching for the first time with Mike and his brother Andy, inspires this piece. I thought it would be fun to do a post, rather my own interpretation on a key element that really stood out to me from the movie. It was the green light. That flashing green illumination across the bay Gatsby constantly reached in the dark of night towards. It was blurred at times, yet always there blinking, night after night; a relentless reminder of Gatsby’s hopes and dreams for a (no pun intended) brighter future. 




It got me thinking; everyone has his or her own green light…right? As a yoga enthusiast I find it ironic that the chakra color for heart center is green as well. Maybe Gatsby was onto something by reaching for that light. Did it signify Daisy physically living across the bay? Was it a representation his future with his love? Or was it a disillusion for a fantasy that was never going to turn into a reality? Now, if you haven’t seen the film I won’t give the ending away, so don’t worry! I do believe that this green light though holds a universal and simple truth. Remain resilient to your dreams but more importantly stay true to your heart. Make your goals you’re reality. Chase after your dreams, even if you fall flat on your face. What’s life without a challenge or a setback? I envied Gatsby for having such an embedded passion; he built his entire life around that one hope.

Maybe it was neurotic or maybe it was insanely valiant and romantic. The point is, it got me thinking about what I want for my own future.


Everyone has a certain skill they were put on this earth for, something we all are insanely good at. Find it and find out what makes you thoroughly happy. What is your dream and how can you turn it into reality or in the movie world shall I say your own…. happy ending.  

>> Live it. Breathe it. Make it your own truth and believe in your own green light. <<

If you liked Carolyn's post check out her blog here:

No comments:

Post a Comment