Monday, September 1, 2014

Give A Little Bit

"We make a living by what we get. 
We make a life by what we give."
–Winston Churchill

Recently I was honored to take part in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge that has taken social media by storm, It was a fun experience for a great cause. Even though ALS progresses at a much faster rate, Duchenne(the disease I have) is very similar so I can relate to many of it's symptoms and struggles. Early on I viewed the challenge with a bit of skepticism, sort of dismissing it as a gimmick that would not foster any real results for something I feel strongly about. I was fortunately proven quite wrong. 
The viral campaign's success certainly speaks for itself with over $100 million dollars in donations raised. This movement truly shows just how undeniably powerful of a tool social media can be for fundraising and awareness. Digital activism may not always hit it's mark but the potential is clearly there. For me personally It is very promising to see a form of giving be a trending topic, especially with my involvement with Make-A-Wish Central New York which mainly revolves around social media. In this age of the Internet, the world is at our fingertips but it's up to us what we do with it this power. Marketing, however is only one part of philanthropy; the real root of giving should be wanting to make other's lives better. I believe we should strive  for a culture where generosity towards those in need is not a revolutionary act but the norm. I encourage all those who took part in the Ice Bucket Challenge to not let ALS be the only cause you contribute to this year.
Consider making a donation to another organization that you feel is important. I understand the economic uncertainty that many face these days, especially for those just finishing college or entering the workforce, but making a positive impact is well worth your time and dollars in my opinion. I also feel that giving should not just be a passive act but a conscience decision, is it is very important to understand where your money is going. Take some time to research various causes and the organizations that support them. When choosing to donate at home or internationally we should remember to not just give based on popularity but for the good it can do. In this world filled with so much hardship and suffering, my hope lies within the difference each of us can make.

P.S. Girl of the Week:
Cristin Milioti
P.P.S Song of the Week:
Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes by Paul Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment