Monday, August 24, 2015

The Force Re-Awakens

“A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…”, Star Wars always begins. That little sentence that tells you that you are in for something truly unique. Then those yellow letters of title crawl fill the screen as you hear it, one of the most iconic pieces of film score ever written. The epic blaring trumpets of the London Symphony Orchestra playing the pure joy-inducing composition written by the legendary John Williams. The text and music drift off into space as you are transported to this galaxy that is part fairytale, part sci-fi and all marvelous imagination.

Growing up with Star Wars, it has become inseparably intertwined with my past, my present and certainly my future. Much like the mysterious force that binds all things together in the series, this universe from the mind of George Lucas is a part of who I am. How many people can say that they love something just as much now as they did when they were three years old. I vividly recall watching the original movies over and over on VHS and receiving my first action figures and Millennium Falcon toy. I have memories of anxiously awaiting the prequels to come out, Star Wars themed birthday parties and Halloween costumes, video games and plastic lightsaber battles—countless hours spent thoroughly immersed in this wonderful space saga.

For me, there are few things better than spending a lazy afternoon glued to the television watching these films. It is truly an experience for me, not just simply a piece of entertainment. The sense of wonder is something I strongly value my life, Star Wars has always brought me that feeling. Every time I re-watch the series, as I did just a few weeks ago, I cannot help but be completely overwhelmed with excitement and nostalgia. I have found myself particularly electrified lately as hype continues to build for the seventh installment premiering this winter.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens directed by J.J. Abrams (Super 8, Star Trek) arrives in theaters December 18 and I could not be any more ecstatic. The trailers alone instantly reignite a child-like joy within me, I am once again that little boy dreaming of a big galaxy. My cautious optimism for this film and the subsequent sequels and spin-offs has quickly shifted to an uninhibited level of excitement, sometimes we must simply trust the in force. The anticipation is palpable for millions of Star Wars fans, young and old, as we await the major resurgence of this beloved franchise. As the first teaser trailer asks, “There has been an awakening, have you felt it?”

Star Wars is forever a part of my life and the lives of so many others, it is an important cultural phenomenon that will remain for generations yet to come. The proverbial lightsaber has been passed to a new group of filmmakers, actors and dreamers of galaxies far, far away. The biggest lesson that this series has taught me is there is always hope, always a chance to make this universe a brighter place. To all the Jedi, Wookies and scruffy-looking-nerf-herders alike, I warmly say may the force be with you, always.

In honor of this week's post I give you... Darth Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment