Monday, October 26, 2015

Live Your Truth, Love Yourself, Help Others

This past Sunday, I had the pleasure of speaking for Maureen’s Hope Youth Club, a part of Sue Bertrand's wonderful organization. I was truly honored to talk to this group of great young adults who contribute to the community in such a positive way. Below is an adapted version of my notes from my talk, while it is not necessarily what said word for word (I tend to improvise) it is the essence of what I had to say.

The theme of Sunday's event is inspired by Maya Angelou's enlightening quote, “When we know better, we do better.” Many remember Maya Angelou for her powerful literary and artistic contributions, however, another major aspect of her legacy is activism. 

Heavily involved with the movement for black civil rights both in the US and abroad, Mis. Angelou worked with leaders such as Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X and Nelson Mandela. She also took part in the feminist and LGBT rights movements. In 2011, Maya Angelou was presented with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor, for her lifetime of achievement. Maya Angelou may have passed away last year but her words live on, her voice is immortal.

History is truly made by those who challenge the status quo, those who seek change within, and far beyond their own lives. Social justice movements are born from a devoted few speaking up for others and working towards a common goal. Many of my personal philosophies are inspired by the brave men and women throughout history, who have changed the world through their words and actions.

One movement, in particular, that is very important to me is the push for disabled rights that originated the 1960’s. After the Civil Rights Bill of 1964 was passed, a law that set to out to end discrimination based on race, religion or national origin, activists felt that Americans with disabilities deserved this same protection under the law. They presented the idea that access is a human right, that it is equality.

Much like with African-American civil rights, disability activists looked to change laws as well as perceptions. At the time, the majority of disabled individuals like myself were excluded from society because of widespread inaccessibility, stigma and mass institutionalization. So many people were denied a voice because of the way the system was designed. Activists spoke out not simply because it was the right thing to do but because it was the only thing to do.

Things have certainly improved as a direct result of this movement, just the very fact I’m here in front of you right now proves that. There is still a long way to go though, inaccessibility still remains; barriers both physically and societally. Some people even still struggle to connect with disabled people on a social level. There is so much we can learn from the Disability Rights Movement. The three biggest things that I have learned are self-acceptanceacceptance of others and speaking up for those in need.

Changing how I personally viewed disability, greatly helped me to accept myself. One of the most important ideas disabled activists have presented is that disability is not inherently bad, it is just part of natural diversity of life. Many of the most difficult aspects come from the lack of understanding and accommodation. It’s not to say that I don’t have bad days and frustrations but overall I am proud to call myself a disabled person. Shifting how we think about disability and disabled people helps to erase pity from our culture, something that can be very isolating. 

This change in perspective has also helped me to treat others with more respect and understanding. Early on, I was hesitant to see myself as part of a larger disabled community, I was afraid to a associate with other people who were different. I realize now that I was close-minded and missing out on a wonderful group of people. I have come to understand that there is power and companionship in shared experience. It was truly this unity between people with many different impairments, backgrounds and perspectives, that allowed change to take place and improve so many lives.

Learning to speak up for others is something crucial for creating a better future. Each of us have a unique voice in this world, a powerful chance to make a difference. We can all be ambassadors for change. Advocating for other people has become an extremely important part of my life, not just for other disabled people but for all those struggling to live there truth because of the barriers in our society. I may be a bit of an idealist but I strongly feel we all can make a difference, I believe in a brighter tomorrow made possible by our words and actions altering the world around us like ripples on a pond.

With my blog and volunteer work I strive to positively impact the world around me and share my own unique perspective. While being disabled does not define all of who I am it is a major part of my life, it has altered how I perceive things and what my priorities are. I think that every one of us has a different story to tell, a completely original truth to share. This is why I believe so passionately in embracing the brilliant diversity of life and fighting for the equality of all people.

Maya Angelou also once wrote, "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” So I say, live your truth, love yourself and help others to do the same.




1 comment:

  1. Great job Mike, we should all get together for a rum & coke soon, haha.

    ReplyDelete