Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A Different Path

Each of our lives are made up of choices, chance encounters and moments that change us forever. What if the past had played out differently, would we be the same people we are today?
This past Saturday I went to see X-Men: Days Of Future Past which dealt with a lot of these themes. In the film, Logan AKA Wolverine played by Hugh Jackman had his consciousness sent back in time to his younger body in order to prevent a deadly war from ever happening. The plausibility of time travel and mutant powers aside, this really made me think about what I would change if I could go back to my younger self with the knowledge I have now. Most of us probably have thought about this at one point or another, it's only natural to imagine a different life. My biggest objective, however would be to simply appreciate the important moments as they happened.
With that power I would also still try to make a few changes, ignoring the danger of the Butterfly effect and most other time travel theories. I try not to live my life with very much regret but there are certainly things I wish I could have done differently. There are a few points in my life where there were things I should have said, things that I wish I never said and people I should have never let slip away. When looking at the past it's easy to see the missed opportunities and poor choices but at the time it's nearly impossible—hindsight is crystal clear. It can be hard to imagine why we made the decisions  we did but it is important to remember how much each of us change over time, we are not the same people we were at the time. Over the course of our lives we are bound to make mistakes but sometimes though, we need those mistakes to learn and become the people we are today. Life is all about growing, learning and becoming wiser. Some of the events that shape our lives the most are completely unexpected. The inherent randomness of life makes each day a brand-new adventure. From day to day we have no idea what exactly will happen, who we will meet or what new things we will realize. The very fact that you are reading this is due series of unforeseen events; If I had not gone to the 2009 Wish ball and met my friend Jesse, she would have never encouraged me to write this blog and you would not be reading it right now. There have been so many moments, so many people that have influenced my life completely by accident and for that I am so grateful.
"Each choice, each moment - a moment in the ripple of time. Enough ripple and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."
-Charles XavierX-Men: Days of Future Past 

P.S. Girl of The Week: 
Saoirse Ronan














P.P.S Song of The Week:
Song for Zula by Phosphorescent




No comments:

Post a Comment