Tuesday, February 3, 2015

A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow

I have always regarded the future with a distinct sense of optimism, a hope that there are better days ahead for this world. Ever since I was small, I have dreamed of what the future might look like. My imagination has long been captured by the world of tomorrow, being a rather large sci-fi enthusiast after all. Although it may not be the 2015 that Marty McFly arrived at in Back To The Future Part II, I am still constantly amazed by the growth of science and technology.

More than a few times in my life I have been asked the question: if I could live in any time period besides the present, which would I choose? My answer is usually something along the lines of about 100 years from now. There are many who seem to romanticize the days gone by, personally I tend to romanticize the days yet to come. I admire some of the aesthetics of the past and believe it is important to know the history but I do not think they were somehow superior times.

When I look back, I see how far things have come and the struggles that people faced to bring it forth. Idealizing the past can be somewhat problematic, in short it erases the advancements in technology and human rights that have improved countless lives. In fact, I would not be active, social or even survive in the vast majority of former eras. Simpler times do not necessarily equal better times; a house, for example, is much nicer to live in than a cave.

Progress can be difficult, even painful at times, it is however, very necessary. Change, much like growing up, can be absolutely terrifying but it is just another part of life. I believe it is important to view every new day, each new thing that comes along with an open mind. The dawn is far brighter with open eyes and an adventurous heart.


As I think about the evolution of human civilization I am reminded of the nostalgic and rather corny Walt Disney World attraction, Carousel of Progress. This rotating theater with animatronic characters was conceived by Walt, himself for the 1964-65 New York World's Fair, later opened in Disneyland and eventually Disney World in 1975. The show depicts the innovations of the American home in 1899, 1920, 1940 and 1999(which is hilarious) with the sentiment, "It can't get any better than this." Despite being somewhat dated, its message remains strong: life ultimately improves as time goes by and as technology expands.

I agree with this idea, judging from the past 100 years, invention and innovation will continue to better lives and push society forward. I dream of a future where the world no longer uses fossil fuels and has began to reverse climate change; where there is clean water for all and not one person knows hunger; where the understanding of ourselves and the universe we inhabit, surpasses our imagination. As the incredibly catchy song from Carousel of Progress suggests, "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of everyday, there's a great big beautiful tomorrow and tomorrow's just a dream away!"

No comments:

Post a Comment