Monday, June 10, 2013

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

One of the most frustrating things that one can experience in life is not feeling heard. There are other times where what you are saying can be misinterpreted, when your heart is in the right place but your words can't seem to follow. 
At one point or another each of us have felt this way, some more than others. I have learned over the years (though I may not do it enough sometimes) that you should really listen to people, actually hear what they have to say. Sometimes all someone needs is for you lend them your ear, having a person just listen can make you feel so much better. Having your feelings validated from time to time and having someone to listen judgement free I feel, is crucial. If someone comes to you it's important to empathize with them, try not to make it about yourself and if your not sure what to say, saying nothing probably is a good option. I have come to realize that I tend to tell it like it is, not holding anything back. I've been told that I voice things that others are most likely thinking but wouldn't necessarily say, it comes with its pros and cons. When it comes to blogging it can be quite effective being somewhat blunt but sometimes it can be taken a little too far. I think there is a lot of value in be honest but you have to consider if you are just trying to hurt someone's feelings. What can be said isn't always what should be said. In general, many misunderstandings come from a well meaning intention that is lost in the execution. Assumption is also a big factor in interactions gone amiss. If you give someone the benefit of the doubt they can at times really surprise you. I'm not saying let people walk all over you but give them a chance to change because you just can't know what they are thinking. I often say that everyone's problems are proportional to their lives. Some people have seemingly bigger challenges that others but in the context of their lives it can all be just as difficult. 
My point is not preach from some sort of self declared moral superiority but to just share what I myself have failed to do time and time again. Knowing how to treat people, is at times very different from how we actually do, learning to take your own advice can be more important than giving it out. Most of my views on how to be are personal trial, error and is a work in progress as is most things in life. In some ways I can be a hypocrite but a like to think I've learned a few things over the years. 
Always remember that each person is so much more than they show on the outside. We all are filled with emotions, thoughts, hopes, dreams, fears, some we let be seen others, some that we hide away in the corners of our minds. 

P.S. Peyton List

No comments:

Post a Comment