Monday, June 3, 2013

The Wheels On The Bus

My volunteer work at Make-A-Wish continues to prove to be an extremely compelling and fulfilling job, just getting there has become an unexpected adventure riding the Centro Call-A-Bus. To gain a little independence and to take some of the pressure off my mom I began using the Call-A-Bus service, a perk of being disabled in New York State to go to work. With two days notice and three dollars I am picked up from my house and taken to work, but its not always a straight shot. As in life, the truly interesting stuff happens in the extra stops and my bus travels are certainly interesting. 
I've seen every imaginable part of Syracuse, some places nicer than others but all unique. I've felt my fair share of bumps, shakes and long rides, the bus at times can be frustrating but it all just adds to the experience. On the long rides I sometimes use it as an opportunity to write my blog, a poem or just a Tweet. Other times I'll just enjoy the ride.
Buy by far the most intriguing part of the whole ordeal is the people I've encountered while riding the bus(there is that theme yet again). Between the drivers and my fellow riders I've seen some real characters. There are a lot of individuals of the elder variety, some more pleasant than others that ride. The rest of the passengers are a wide variety of different people. I get along with most of the drivers pretty well also, they are very helpful and pleasant. Here are some good stories I've heard from people while on the road:

We dropped off a man, probably in his eighties at Carousel mall(Destiny USA) when the driver causally asked if the man was shopping he replied that he was meeting a "lady friend" for a date.

One woman recalled parts of her fascinating life, she came to the US from Sicily at a young age and was forced to drop out of school after the eighth grade to help support her family after her father could no longer work because of an accident. She remarked that she had stayed sharp all these years by reading everyday.

A man in his late fifties talked about how he had fallen in his bathroom broke his neck on the sink, the doctors said he would likely never walk or get out of bed again but with intensive therapy and a good amount of determination is now able to walk with help of a walker.

There are plenty of things I could
complain about on the bus but I choose not to, there really is no point. Why resent parts of your life that are boring or tedious they are just opportunities to make the best of it and enjoy the little things. Anywhere there are people you can make conversation and learn a new perspective from them. Once you free yourself from the idea of judging people every encounter just enriches your life. 

P.S. Alice Eve












P.P.S. To any Game of Thrones fans, how about last night?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment