Monday, July 1, 2013

And I'm Getting Older Too

      I am nearly twenty-two years old and at some point started being an adult. I'm not sure exactly when or how it happened, but it did, I'm not a kid anymore. 
The road leading to this point in my life has not been an easy one, i'll admit. Not very often will I mention that watching my friends go to college, get jobs, start their lives has been one of the most heartbreaking and difficult things that I've ever had to deal with. Jealousy is something I consider to be pointless and petty, but in the dark of night alone I my head it becomes quite real. It has been a long process to feel like, and in some cases act grown up. 
     I have had to readjust my definition of what it means to be an adult. The fact that my living situation has not changed since gradating High School has forced me to realize that growing up is about attitude not location. I have learned to ignore the cookie-cutter definition of success and find fulfillment on my own terms. I have gotten to the point where I can say I'm happy with how I'm spending my days; my work will Make-A-Wish and my writing has proved to be a fantastic outlet.
    Adulthood, I've found, is not all its cracked up to be; the extra responsibilities, the expectations and the wider view of the world can be downright frightening at times. Life is hard, for certain, but it's important to not become bitter as we grow older. I believe there is a lot of value in maintaining a child-like sense of wonder for the world, no matter what age you are. Each day is a learning experience and an spectacular gift; cherish the seconds, don't let them diminish who you are. 

   Every day I'm changing, growing older and wiser. I am a different person yet exactly the same. I am a product of everything I was, everything I am now, and everything I will be. My life, may have not turned out the way I imagined but its my life and it is so much more than anything I could have planed. Being an adult is a strange thing, that no one understands fully. I am so grateful to be at this point in my life, that there was to guarantee I would even see. 

P.S. Happy Fourth of July from me and 
Lana Del Rey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment