Monday, July 8, 2013

Summertime And The Livin's Easy

For as long as I can remember, I have loved the summertime, something about this time of year just makes me feel fantastic. Spring may be the rebirth from the desolation of winter but summer is when the living truly begins. The sights and sounds of this season have a way of setting my mind at peace. The whirring sound of a lawnmower, the buzz of cicadas in the trees, a clap thunder in the distance, and the pop of a firecracker are all beautiful sounds to my ears. The bright washed-out light of a summer day, a mirage of heat over a road, the green grass, American flags waving proudly in the warm breeze; a radiant picture of pure life. 
 I may be a little biased, but one of my favorite parts of the summer is the Fourth of July. My friends and family gathering for drinks, food, conversation, and dangerous explosives on the day of my birth and of this nation's, is glorious. The greatest birthday present of all, (which have ranged from Lego sets to hard liquor, over the years) is being born on the that day and during this time of year. Summertime is not without its cons: the heat, the bugs, etc. but it hardly compares to the Hoth-like(yes, the ice planet from Star Wars) conditions of a Syracuse winter. Storms can blow in with a violence in the summer, but when the clouds recede all that is left is sunshine, not the frozen suffocating blanket of snow that winter leaves behind. As the earth tilts silently toward the sun, my spirit grows a little brighter, my body a little freer, and the world a little bit more hopeful. 
P.S. Eva Green.


No comments:

Post a Comment