Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Guest Writer Jeremy Meltzer

My first encounters with Mike were in the crowded chaos of the Liverpool High School Annex hallways. For anybody reading who is not an alum of LHS, the Annex is essentially one large square, flooded with 800 awkward freshmen between before and between classes. For Mike, the square might as well have been a racetrack, and the freshmen his targets. On multiple occasions, I can recall turning too quickly around a corner only to have a foot run over by Mike’s “racecar”. “Sorry!” was his sincere response, followed by chuckles from his teacher assistant/sidekick.

It wasn’t until 10th grade biology (see below) that I actually got to know Mike personally. That year, the teacher AND the teacher’s replacement both got pregnant and the backup was not prepared for the “honors” students in that classroom. Apparently, the most exciting classroom activity was chucking plastic molecule set pieces across the room at each other. Mike was one of a handful of students who didn’t participate in these shenanigans, and I believe that’s how our friendship started. We’ve kept in touch since then and he’s even come out to Boston a couple times to visit. One of the things I look forward most to when I’m home in Liverpool is visiting and catching up with Mike and his family. Oh and it’s always nice leaving with some of his mom’s wonderful cooking and beers from his dad’s stash! With a little help from a ramp and some careful maneuvering on Mike’s part, he’s also been present at some of the most memorable get-togethers throughout high school at my house (sorry Mom!). 
However, the most meaningful memory I have of Mike is the unexpected speech he gave in front of our entire class at graduation rehearsal. As fellow LHS alumnus, friend, and rapper Chris Macri put it in “Kids 2.0”: “I almost cried when Mike Mort moved me”. And although I was clearly too much of a man (barely) to cry, I can recall a number of people actually tearing up when Mike’s words of advice were given. Don’t take life for granted was his simple message. Of course it was especially moving and profound coming from somebody who was given a curveball in life. When in need of inspiration and motivation, I think back to Mike’s speech among other motivators.

The speech was special on another level for me personally, as it got me thinking about the imperfections that every individual carries. From the side of the stage, my heart was racing faster than Secretariat at the very thought of speaking in front of so many people. One of my own imperfections (among many) is a lack of confidence when speaking in front of a large group of people. I’m happy to say I’ve improved my public speaking skills a bit, but I’m definitely still lacking in that department. At the same time, Mike nonchalantly asked to speak and delivered his words with confidence and ease (I’m still envious to this day). That experience helped shape my perspective on the abilities and limitations of every human being.

A recent example of this is model and actress Deepika Padrone’s revelation of her personal struggle with depression and anxiety. Robin Williams, who exuded happiness and joy, was pushed to suicide after years of substance abuse and crippling depression. On a personal level, every one of my family members and close friends has shown some sort of “flaw”, and I can think of at least a million or so “flaws” of my own. But I shrug these off and try my best to take a people-first perspective.
  
People-first language developed as a way to end the dehumanization of individuals with mental, emotional, or physical disabilities. The basic idea is to ignore the normal rules of syntax when describing individuals. “People with disabilities” instead of “disabled people”. People-first language extends beyond simple sentence structure and can really be considered an entire philosophy on how we think about and interact with each other. People aren’t “confined to wheelchairs”, they’re contributing and functional members of society who just happen to need a chair for mobility. (Sidenote: I consider this a way at interacting with all individuals, not just individuals who are disabled. As such, there are other theories, such as the social model of disability, that deal specifically with individuals with disabilities)

I know that when I’m with Mike, he doesn’t bring up any of my many flaws (I’m sure he could name a few though), and I don’t think twice about his sometimes limited mobility. Since becoming friends 8 years ago, we’ve had some hilarious and unforgettable times together. I know that Mike “The Mutant” Mort is a thoughtful, intellectual individual who has taken his adversity in stride. His optimism is contagious and he’s got serious sweater game. And I’ve learned the hard way that he also just happens to have the ability to break toes with his chair.

1 comment:

  1. Jeremy, this is so wonderful ... so articulate and full of meaning. I was privileged to know you both. Thank you for sharing with us. You and Mike will always be in my "favorites column"!! ~Linda Wiehl

    ReplyDelete