Monday, January 12, 2015

Mutant And Proud


Recently I have added several of the X-Men movies to my extensive DVD/Blu-ray collection, re-watching this series I have realized just how powerful of a social commentary it truly is. Though much of my interest in the franchise does come from my inner geek, there are some very important themes that I believe everyone can understand.
What really separates X-Men from other superhero based series is the fact that the people who possess the extraordinary powers, referred to as mutants, are actually feared and often times persecuted. On a personal level I can relate to X-Men and the plight of the mutants, being one myself. I may not be able to read minds or shoot gigantic laser beams out of my eyes but I am a mutant all the same. A genetic mutation that has affected me physically, thus I am seen differently by society. In fact, I do sometimes feel like I am being looked at like I am going around naked and blue.
Mystique played by Jennifer Lawrence
I think the idea that humanity tends to misunderstand and in turn, fear those who are different is a pretty accurate assessment, historically. The first X-Men comic, created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, was published by Marvel Comics in September of 1963, in the midst of the Civil Rights Movement and paralleled the fight for racial equality. Over the past 52 years there have been countless comics and several television, big screen and video game adaptations which have dealt with issues such as homophobia, disability, anti-semitism, racism and the fear of communism. 


One in particular storyline that that I have always found interesting is the conflict between the characters Charles and Erik, two mutants with very different philosophies. Charles Xavier commonly known as Professor X is telepath and wheelchair user, who believes that a lasting peace between mutants and non-mutants can be found. He does not necessarily trust society but does have hope for it; at his school he takes in mutants and teaches them to control and conceal their unique abilities. On the other hand, Erik Lehnsherr a.k.a Magneto who is able to bend metal with his mind, feels that a war with non-mutants is inevitable. Being a Holocaust survivor, Magneto witnessed the full extent of human cruelty and believes mutants must gain the upper hand before humans have the chance to destroy them. Charles is sometimes correct that Erik's methods are too extreme but Erik is also sometimes correct with his predictions; both men fiercely want to protect their kind but their methods simply vary.


Professor X(left) and Magneto(right)
I believe that in any situation of oppression in the world there are always Magnetos and Xaviers. During the civil rights movement for example, there was Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X, Dr. King stressed nonviolence while Malcolm X felt a more militant reaction was necessary; both of these activists however, advocated for African-American rights. Whether it's fictional characters or true events, people are often quick to judge the reactions of those who are oppressed, sometimes dismissing the history of abuse. I feel it is important that each of us try to put ourselves in the shoes of people who are persecuted, misrepresented or abused. 

When it comes to my own personal causes, sometimes I am an Xavier and other times I am more of a magneto but I always try to fight for those who are different. If X-Men teaches us anything, it is that we should respect all people no matter how different they may be.
My life may not be easy but I am mutant and I am proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment