Monday, April 27, 2015

Forever Excited

Most people who know me well, understand that I am an extremely passionate person, very few of my interests could be characterized as casual. I can be borderline obsessive with the things that I love, however, I would not trade this enthusiasm for anything in the world. I believe that life is worth living as long as we have things that still excite us, give us joy. No matter what age we are, we should seek to preserve our childhood sense of wonder and excitement.

As each of us grow older, our interests can certainly change but our zeal for life does not necessarily have to. It can be difficult to maintain an eager attitude, I know that all too well, there is a lot of value in it though. Those who have the ability to get genuinely excited about their passions can act as sort of a catalyst, a force of positivity. When a friend, loved one or even a stranger gets really charged up about something they love, we can't help but feel a little bit that way ourselves—it is infectious.

Unfortunately, sometimes we feel the need to suppress our joy, mask our true feelings. There have been more than a few occasions where I have downplayed my interests in fear of being perceived as annoying. I realize that I tend to ramble on about things such as movies, television and social activism, however, every time I water down bits of my personality I am left feeling a bit hollow. Too often do we give up parts of ourselves in the pursuit of acceptance when they are, in fact, what make us who we are.

Lately, I have been extremely ecstatic about the new Star Wars film coming out, I have waited over 10 years for a new movie and my entire life for an episode seven. When I discuss Star Wars it is not just simply something I enjoy but a major part of my life. It is a series that has seen me through some pretty tough times, no matter how difficult things got Star Wars always made me feel a little better. To me it is important that we respect and have patience for everyone’s interests, for we do not always know just how meaningful something is to a person.


Whether your interest is Star Wars or exotic birds; auto mechanics or scrap-booking; Harry Potter or super-heroes; if it makes your life more enjoyable (barring anything dangerous or offensive) it has value. In a world with so many reasons to feel down, we should be comfortable sharing what truly makes happy, free of judgement. Remember what it felt like to be child bursting with excitement about what you love, hold on to that joyous energy as you go through this wild ride of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment