Monday, May 4, 2015

Baltimore Matters

For this post I would like to discuss the recent events in Baltimore, a topic that may alienate a few readers but I feel it deserves to be mentioned from the platform of my blog. At first I was quite hesitant to post on this subject but I felt compelled to as I continued to hear the unsettling slew of commentary. Frankly, I have found myself rather disappointed with much the discourse on social media but I also have been very moved by those who did chose to speak up constructively. For those in positions of privilege it can be difficult to see the problems at hand if one is not willing to challenge their own assumptions and biases.

One of the most persistent sentiments I’ve seen on mainly Facebook, is the outrage against the Baltimore rioting that followed the death of Freddie Gray, recently ruled a homicide. I am not making excuses and certainly do not agree with destruction, however, I can see the feeling behind it. Many view these actions as a lack of respect or some similar moral failing, to me it is a symptom of institutional oppression. These frustrations often stem from communities with crushing poverty, with compromised school systems and very few opportunities to succeed—where those tasked to serve and protect can sometimes, in fact, be the source of danger. 

No matter what your opinion may be or what the mainstream media may portray, these instances of rioting do not represent the majority of peaceful protests that have occurred in Baltimore and across our nation. The Baltimore movement and the larger, ongoing Black Lives Matter campaign, on social media and in the streets seeks to call-out the inequalities for black individuals within the justice system and in general. Some bystanders feel the need to interject All Lives Matter or Police Lives Matter, sort of missing the point that this is about a specific issue; if someone were to post about cancer awareness, it would be in poor taste to comment, "healthy people matter too!” Much like feminism is not about hating men, this is not about hating white people or all police officers, it's about systemic racism. 

There is evidence to support the fact that people who are black are statistically more likely to be victims of police brutality, are incarcerated at a higher rate, receive longer prison sentences, so on and so forth. It is also important to mention that within this group, transgender individuals and those who are mentally and physically disabled are especially at risk for being abused by police. I would like to be very clear that I do not believe each and every member of law-enforcement is abusive, I personally know some great people who are cops and respect the enormous pressure they are under each time they go to work. That being said, I still definitely think there are certain individuals and police departments that are more violent towards African-Americans. 

From my perspective, ableism (discrimination of disabled people) and racism are very similar in the sense that they are both issues that many believe to have been eradicated in the United States but are still very real. With any form of oppression it is crucial to listen to those who are disadvantaged and try to consider their position. It is no secret that I hold some very strong views that not everyone agrees with but I typically try to see things through the lens of empathy. I think it is important for us to be willing to take a hard, open-minded look at race in the United States, regardless of whether or not we are affected directly. I do not presume to know what it is like to be a black person in this country but I hope to at least be an ally. Words are my skill and passion, I believe I should try use them for good whenever I can.


1 comment:

  1. Good post Mike. I really thought your point about "Black Lives Matter" was really powerful. I have engaged myself in a number of debates about the events in Baltimore and here are two observations/thoughts: 1) I have a problem with the "look at all these white privileged leftist/liberals making comments about racism and poverty from their comfy suburbs" line of criticism. I personally am not poor or black, but I am also not a female, a homosexual, a member of the armed forces, a veteran, an immigrant, or a gun owner - does this mean that I cannot comment on political issues regarding these demographics? Was it paternalistic for abolitionists to advocate for emancipation when they themselves were never slaves or civil rights activists to advocate an end to apartheid when they were not in South Africa? 2) I find that judging the morality of rioters to be very problematic. I hear people say that "they should have known better", that the looting they perpetrated is "just wrong". Hauntingly similar, the rhetoric of "can't they just behave" is pervasive from Jim Crow to the Civil Rights era and now continuing in the War on Drugs. Missing from the morality standpoint is the realization that police and the justice system have done "wrong" for a long time. The violence is not always personal - like in the alleged cases of Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Freddie Gray, etc. - but systemic. Violence exists in the policy and tactics of mass incarceration, and an important question to ask is where is the morality in that? Further, do black individuals engage in crime because of choice or necessity? Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete