Monday, September 22, 2014

Ready For Some Football

In my life I enjoy to occasionally explore new interests, my latest endeavor is watching football. Sports, honestly have never been much of a thrill for me, I am usually more content with watching something with a plot. Normally if I wanted to see men in strange costumes transport a seemingly random object to a specific location against the odds for several hours, I would simply watch The Lord of the Rings. This year, however I have decided to give this grind-iron action some of my attention. 
My gateway into this NFL season is through fantasy football—a game equal parts tireless planning and pure luck. Since watching my brother play last year I wanted to see what all the hype was about. After giving me a crash course on all things football, Andrew reluctantly accepted me as part of team ADXMORT. Our team is part of the Halfmoon circle league which is managed by our good friend and longtime trivia partner Mike. Preparing for the season I quickly learned that the most crucial portion fantasy football is without a doubt the draft. I watched as my brother conducted weeks of research and countless mock drafts, all in anticipation of the fateful day when we would pick our players. When draft night arrived we were ready; despite the beer, friends and snacks this draft party was a serious operation. My knowledge was very limited but Andrew did allow me to help him make a few decisions. Some of the risks I encouraged him to take actually payed off, I am happy to report we have gone 3-0 so far. It is uncertain whether or not our streak will continue but the fact that my brother and I have this together makes it well worth it. I may not be the biggest fan but it is something new to excited about with my dad, my brother and my friends. Football may not be perfect, the NFL certainly has had it's fair share of controversies but at it's root is about comrade. Setting aside all the money, politics and poor conduct, the game is truly about people coming together for a shared goal. The idea that millions of fans can be part of this collective interest is an impressive feat. Win or lose, week after week this peculiar game can somehow bring people together.

I will end this post with Al Pacino's speech from the film Any Given Sunday


P.S. Girl of the Week:
Chyler Leigh


No comments:

Post a Comment